Bruce in Alaska

Default VHF Antenna Resistance, Center Conductor To Shield

In article ,
(Ron Patterson) wrote:

snipped for brevity

Before installing it I decided to check the antenna resistance from
the center of the coax to the shield. I got about two and one half
ohms. I was thinking it should be an open. What should the resistance
be, measured from the radio end, from the center conductor to the
shield? Someone please help me because I don't want to hook up the
radio and blow the transmitter. Is this a danger? Or perhaps I have
nothing to worry about.

Thanks in advance

Ron Patterson

That's yahoo.com

Most, if not all, commercial Vhf antennas are designed to be DC
Grounded from the center conductor to the shield, and have a 50 Ohm
RF Impedance at the antenna connection. The 50 Ohm Impedance
is because that is the defacto Standard Output Impedance for
Commercial Twoway Radio's, worldwide. The DC Grounded connections
are used, so that any Static Charges that the antenna picks up are
shunted directly to ground thru the feedline connection, and, or
the DC Mounting System of the antenna.

Bruce in alaska Hopeing, Rodney Myrvaagnes of NYC, would only
speculate on things he actually has knowledge of
--
add a 2 before @