Bruce[_3_] Bruce[_3_] is offline

Default This is a darned good anchor light.

On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 05:12:17 -0800 (PST), Flying Pig
wrote:

On Friday, December 21, 2012 9:21:23 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 12:09:10 -0500, " Sir Gregory Hall, Esq·"

åke wrote:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...992429&id=7961

If you need a good, legal (two-mile vis) anchor light you can't go wrong with

this one.

Defender seems to have the best price around for this item.

Not a very efficient light, is it. One bulb draws .11 amps and a

second draws .33 amps but only produces "about twice" the light (for

three times the power).

There are better lights available.

....after looking on the web I'll revise that statement as I see West

marine is selling LED light bulbs for $52.99. Amazing really, given

that I can buy, in Bangkok, LED bulbs of equal power, but not with the

indexed nav light base, for about $10 U.S.

--

Cheers,

Bruce

What's "equal power"? There are all sorts of cheap LEDs available, but the actual lumens is what matters. Whether or not the cheap LED will muck up your electronics with RFI is of interest as well.

Skip, to the best of my knowledge LED's do not emit RF.

On the other hand, if there is a "driver" which is essentially a
voltage regulator, attached, which is often used to control voltage to
the LED's it could be some sort of pulse width gizzmo that oscillates
at high frequency.

Just looking at the spot lights you are installing I suspect that they
use only resisters for any voltage drop, at least most of the "strip"
led devices use only resisters.

Skip

--
Cheers,