Larry W4CSC

Default Need technical info on RayMarine Rudder Reference Unit

Our B&G Pilot's rudder position sensor is a linear plunger type. It
really makes no difference where "center" is during the installation,
because during the commissioning phase of the software setup you
center the rudder and get the boat going straight, then tell the
Pilot, "OK, this is rudder centered, right now. Make a note.", and
the Pilot notes the setting of where rudder center is, not any
specific value cast in stone. You do the same for the hard to port
and hard to starboard positions, shoving the rudder over to the stops
and telling the computer, "This is hard over to starboard. Make a
note.", with a setup on the display.

I'm sure the ST5000 has a similar software procedure to setup your
system. If it doesn't, return it and get a B&G. It's the most
amazing piece of gear bought for Lionheart. There's almost no noise
steering the boat. It's like a ghost is at the helm that knows
exactly how to steer and turn her, as if he's been turning her for 30
years......

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 14:59:25 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

I'm installing a ST5000 autopilot control unit with an Alpha Marine linear
actuator. The rudder position feed back from the Alpha is 10K variable
resistor (pot), 5K/5K is rudder centered..

I'm not sure what the Raymarine control unit is looking for.. The input on
the control head is 3 connectors, plus shield.

If someone has one of these rudder reference units sitting around, I would
be interested in knowing what the resistance from lead to lead is (excluding
the shield). Or what type of unit is this if not anolog.

I would appreciate any info..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Larry W4CSC

No, no, Scotty! I said, "Beam me a wrench.", not a WENCH!
Kirk Out.....