Larry W4CSC

Default 2 kw radarbeam

The 2KW is PEAK power, only during the very short radar pulse. The
average power is very low because the time in between pulses is very
long, in comparison to the pulse. If you measure the DC power applied
to the radar, you'll only get a few amps of DC power because of this.
Power is stored in what is called a "pulse forming network" so the
magnetron has a charged source of power to pull the big pulse of
current from. This is why there are no big DC cables going up the
mast to power it. The electronics fires the stored power through the
magnetron, very quickly, producing a very narrow pulse time, which is
why you can see that bouy so close to the boat.

You'll have no problem powering even the 8KW radar from any
alternator......

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:44:53 +0100, "Aron Tvedt"
wrote:

There is something I dont understand about radars. I have a JRC 1500 radar
(16 miles), in according to the manual, the antenna is supposed to send out
a radarbeam of 2000 watt. My engines (yanmar 4lha htp) generator produses
12v 80A (1120watt).

I dont use the radar all the time, but if I did, would the engine be able to
produse enough power to my batteries?

Some experienced sailors say my radar cannot have an effect of 2000watt. It
is the same effect of an electical owen.

Larry W4CSC

No, no, Scotty! I said, "Beam me a wrench.", not a WENCH!
Kirk Out.....