rick

Default Battery Life question

What Steve writes in a separate reply to you is true, but he has assumed
you have inapropriat batteries to begin with. Before disgarding the
batteries;
Make sure the the water is topped up in each cell of each battery.
Make sure the connections are clean and tight.
Make sure the alternator belt is tight.
Make sure the specific gravity of each cell is the same...whether high or
low they should all be the same. If not the lowest one will limit the
current flow of all the rest of the cells.
Make sure they are true deep cycle batteries. the weight is the key.
Trojan Golf cart batteries i bought for $100 each have lasted me 12 yrs!
All i do is keep the water level up in them and never let them sit
uncharged for any more then a few hours or they will 'sulphate' and loose
the ability to recharge.

rick

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 22:29:37 -0600, Messing In Boats
wrote:

I've got a two year old house bank of two Group 27B's. (the 27B's are
supposed to be a little bit better than a plain Group 27) Last summer
they seemed to loose their ability to keep my refrigerator and anchor
light working as long as they used to and I'm wondering if they are shot
or not. They have gotten a lot of use these last two years, so I won't
whine too much if they are gone, but I would hate to replace them if
they aren't.

How do I check this out?

Is there some way to de-sulpher the plates or something to re-energize
them and save me a $130 trip to Sam's Club?

Capt. Jeff