F330 GT

Default Motor upgrade - More Horse Power

I have a small 9.9 motor on my 14' small fishing boat. I read the manual
it
says it can be upgraded to 30 HP maximum ... wondering if I put a 40 HP on
it, will that be dangerous? coz my I found a good deal on a used 40HP.

John

If you do it, and if you are involved in any accident, your insurance
company will drop you like a hot rock.

...carry on.
noah

Does anybody keep insurance on a 14' aluminum boat? I think some of you guys
are insurance crazy....

I gotta go out now and insure my bicycle. God knows when I might hit

somebody.

In 30+ years of boating, the only time I've ever had boat insurance was when

had a 44' charter boat. I can't think of any of my friends that have ever

had
boat insurance either, unless their boat was financed. Then it was because

the
finace comapny required it. An trust me, I grew up on an island where

everybody
had boats.

Barry

Barry, I can almost understand your sarcastic attitude.
Insurance on a 14 footer seems a bit silly, until something bad
happens. Then the concern becomes one of liability, not repair. If
someone is injured, or worse, the lawyers will come out of the
woodwork. Did you know that Homeowner's insurance can be forced to
pay unrelated liabilities? A few years ago, a teenager on a bicycle,
goofing around with his friends, hit me broadside while I was riding
my motorcycle. Witnesses confirmed what had happened, and the boy's
parents ' homeowner's insurance paid to repair my bike. I didn't sue,
but I could have. They could have lost a lot.

Where I live, there is a phonebook full of lawyers that would be happy
to take everything you own, then garnish your future earnings.

Sometimes the old "ounce of prevention" is worth much more than the
pound of cure.

My reply to John was simply to point out the possibilities. It's his
decision, and I don't sell insurance.

...carry on.
noah

Noah,

I really don't disagree with you. I'm just a little tired of having to insure
everything in my life to ward off the legal vultures.

As for Homeowner's Insurance, I'm not so sure that it relates. When I put a new
engine on my boat I called them to see if it was covered for theft (in my side
yard, on a trailer). They said no and they wouldn't add it to my existing
policy. Seems lilke they don't want anything to do with boats. I really doubt
if they would be involved if I was in a n accident. No more so than if I
wrecked my car.

Have you ever heard of a Homeowner's Policy paying for a traffic accident? I
don't think so.

Barry