Jürgen Spelter

Default Battery switch.

Hi Henry,

looks like You have a funny boat!
Normally the negative pole of battries is grounded by connecting them to
the metal parts of the boat. If in Your case it`s the other way around it
seems so, that the positive pole of Your battries is grounded. That will
work quiet good, it`s only unusual.
You can`t change that, because the positive pole of alternator will be
grounded too in Your boat. In europe, some old french cars have the same,
positive pole is connected to the matal chassis. Everyone trying to operate
a normal car stereo had a problem!

If it is as it seems, don`t worry. Everything works well, only plus and
minus are changed. So the two negative poles will lead to the battry switch.

By the way: these battery switches are in common use, but I think, You
should trough it away. In position ALL both battries are charged by running
machine, but also they are discharged, when machine stops. Better is to use
a relais, connected to the alternator light in the dashboard. This relais
connects the batteries, when machine runs. It also disconnect them, when
engine stops. When You then connect all lightning, pumps an so on to the
second battery, only this one will be discharged and starting battery will
stay well charged.....

regards

juergen

"Henry" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I recently bought an O'day 27 and have come across a surprise in the

wiring
of the battery switch.

This is the usual 1,2, both or off.

The two batteries are wired with their positives strapped together, and

the
negatives disappear separately into the switch.
All positives are taken from the deep cycle battery, including the

starter.

Tomorrow I intend to remove the switch with a view to rewiring in a more
conventional way.

Can anyone speculate on why the wiring should be as it is. Also, is there
anything I should know to prevent blowing the alternator?

Thanks in anticipation

Henry