Peter Bennett

Default RADAR CHOICE - JRC 1000/1500, Furuno 1623, Raymarine SL72

On 5 Feb 2004 10:03:42 -0800, (Rob) wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for a small radar for my replica 22m dutch barge. It will
be mainly used on inland waterways in Europe and coastal waters -
Baltic, Agean, Med etc plus Channel crossings. Narrowed choice of
small radars down to the above listed - would appreciate comments and
experience.

TVMIA

The best buy at the Vancouver Boat Show was the JRC 1500 mk2 - only
Can$1199 from most dealers, and good recommendations (from the
dealers). Apparently the Mk 2 has a better display than the original
1500. The JRC 1000 was only $50 cheaper at West Marine, and the
Furuno 1623 was more expensive, and had a slightly wider antenna
beamwidth (therefore, poorer target discrimination).

I bought one today, but (obviously) have no experience with it yet.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb (at) interchange.ubc.ca