Ken Heaton

Default Ray Jefferson "Deep Flasher"

Comments below:

"Captain Bob" wrote in message
news
Greetings:

I have a Ray Jefferson 5700 Deep Flasher

snipped bit was here
Also, is there a "DEPTH SOUNDER" made today?
Not a fish-finder, just a reliable depth indicator, no computer, no
screen, just DEPTH!!

Bob

-------------------------------------
M/V Tamara B Cape Elisebeth Me.
http://www.tamara-b.org
currently at N40.36.48 W73.55.09
-------------------------------------

I can help you with the last question. This is from the September 2003 (Vol
29-Numbers 17&18) Practical Sailor:

"Just the Numbers, Please: A Stand-Alone Sounder Sampling

The Raymarine ST40 and ST60 shine in our test of nine sounders. Smaller and
less expensive units from Norcross and Uniden also deserve consideration.

Last December we reviewed fishfinders (aka scanning sounders) in Practical
Sailor. If you're installing a depthsounder (and through-hull transducer)
for the first time, and have space for such an instrument, it makes sense to
at least consider a sounder that will paint you a picture of the bottom as
well as give you depth numbers and (usually) water temperature-especially
because monochrome fishfinders are priced about the same as single-purpose
sounders, or even less. (If you're a fisherman as well as a sailor, so much
the better.) In a future issue we'll review color fishfinders, too.

However, there are also plenty of reasons to choose a numbers-only sounder.
They take up..."

Sorry, you'll have to subscribe or find a copy of this issue somewhere to
read the rest.
http://www.practical-sailor.com/pub/...es/4858-1.html
--
Ken Heaton & Anne Tobin