Larry W4CSC

Default SeaTalk update rate

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 00:58:58 +0100, Frank
wrote:

Sorry - i made a mistake

I wrote :
I personally don't need any sentencetype Raymarine's NMEA Bridge has.

but i mean
I personally don't need ALL THE sentencetypes that Raymarine's NMEA Bridge
can handle.

Frank

Seatalk is too slow, even for Raymarine! I believe it updates
1/second. Case in point.....go to:
http://www.raymarine.com/raymarine/S...81198_1www.pdf
and download the owner's manual for our Raymarine Smart Heading Sensor
(compass with little gyro unit).
Scan down the PDF manual to page 16, section 2.4.
where it says:
2.4 Connecting to Pathfinder Plus
You need to connect the GyroPlus 2 unit to the Pathfinder Plus using both
NMEA and SeaTalk:
• the SeaTalk connection allows the Pathfinder Plus unit to calibrate
the compass
• the NMEA connection provides the fast heading information for
MARPA and radar/chart overlay

The NMEA update rate is 10 Hz....10 times faster than Seatalk.

I'm still trying to get the Smart Heading Sensor compass to calibrate
itself. Currently, Lionheart is using the fast-calibrating B&G
compass sensor of the B&G Network Pilot autopilot for network compass
heading information. It calibrates much easier than the SHS, so far.
I'm going to try a different mounting position for the Raymarine
compass sensor, which after 10 turns still starts to calibrate, then
whips around out of control on every turn.....Nothing magnetic or
wiring anywhere near it....(sigh)

Crew gets itchy if the chief engineer insists on "one more slow turn"
on a nice day....(c;......delaying this project with offers of booze
and food and sex. The SHS can wait another day....(c;

Larry W4CSC

No, no, Scotty! I said, "Beam me a wrench.", not a WENCH!
Kirk Out.....