Doug Dotson

Default SSB Antennas

Funny, it is my impression that the reason that a licensed
engineer is no longer required at broadcast stations is that
the transmitters are pretty much automated and self controlled
by their computer. At least the one I am aware of is. I believe
it is connected via the net to a control center that monitors
many transmitters and dispatches licensed techs if any
anomalies are detected.

I got my GROL etc specifically to work with marine systems so
it was worth it in my case. I have no interest in comercial broadcast
stations.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 23:16:29 -0500, "Doug Dotson"
wrote:

I guess as we grow older the fact that some of our past
accomplishments are deemed obsolete is hard to accept.

A real 1st Phone license, now expired, will get you a job at any
broadcast station with an opening. It's a badge of accomplishment and
knowledge that had to be worked for.

Licenses aren't required, any more, at broadcast stations. FCC
threatened to not renew station licenses of broadcasters who didn't
have the required number of black transmitter operators, many years
back. Broadcasters pointed out that the number of black operators was
miniscule because of the 1st and 2nd Class license requirements. They
simply weren't available. So, in typical politically-correct
government fashion, FCC reduced the test to GROL and tried again.
Failing to license the required black licensees of the much-simpler
testing, FCC eliminated the license and testing requirements for
broadcast transmitter operators to try to get the numbers up. It
still hasn't worked and FCC stopped threatening the broadcasters soon
after. "Griff", a black engineer at WCSC-TV, gets offers every month
from stations not in compliance. He'll never be out of a job. Being
black AND competent is a very valuable asset, indeed.

The only thing the GROL is useful for, now, is marine and aviation
radio. The only reason it's still in existence is the ITU requires
it.

Larry W4CSC

No, no, Scotty! I said, "Beam me a wrench.", not a WENCH!
Kirk Out.....