Doug

Default After market source for connectors/interface cables??

I work as a service tech for a Furuno dealer. We can't get the connectors
either...we have to buy the cable or pigtails. I was told the connectors
were called "Honda" connectors. However, searching a bit on the Honda
website did not yield a match.
The most common multipin connector used by several manufacturers is the
Conxall also known as the Con-X-All that are on the Benmar, Robertson, etc.
The best under minimum order place I have found is ElectroShield at
1-800-662-1054. They will supply a catalog on request. Be careful when
ordering to specify whether solder pins or crimp pins, etc. Crimp requires a
special tool. I would suggest going to Conxall web catalog, figure out what
you want and then call Electroshield for single quantity items. Good luck on
finding an Furuno equivalents.
Doug K7ABX
"Steve" wrote in message
There has to be a cheaper way to interconnect electronics.. I thought
Raymarine was expensive and difficult to deal with, then I upgraded from a
1720 to 1721 Furuno radar.. $35 to $50 for a NMEA or Compass cable.. The
only cable that is interchangeable is the power cable.

I checked with a 'trusted' service shop and he was marking them up about

20%
over the list price on Furuno site.

It's not just the radar, I have a Interphase video depth that needs a
special NMEA cable connector, similar situation on my Si-Tex flux compass
NMEA, Furuno GPS NMEA. The problem is even worse if you have an old

AutoHelm
AP. (Why not have a standard patch cable like you have on audio/video
equipment, but with water tight rubber boot.)

Now I have added additional interface plug problems by adding a older
Yeoman chart plotter to the Nav Sta..

It is very difficult to identify accurately any of these plug in a mail
order catalog.. There just isn't any standards or connector ID or even MFG
name.. Often the protective cap on a connector will have a recogniziable
name but the connector most likely will be someone elses or more likely
proprietory..

Now that I'm finished with my rant, could anyone offer any solutions or
recommendations?? Yah! I know KISS and go sailing..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions