Gary Schafer

Default SSB reflected power?

An antenna tuner does not belong on the bridge! That is the worst
place for it.

The first thing I would do is to get that tech back and make him put
the tuner where it belongs, In the bilge! Right next to the ground.
You must have a very short ground lead. The length you have now comes
no where near being ground. You might get away with it on 2 Mhz but
not anything higher.

Mount the antenna down near the deck if you have to. Keep the antenna
as far away from other electronics AND wiring as you can.

It will not hurt to have a long antenna lead from the tuner to the
antenna as long as it is in the clear and away from other wires.
Remember that the antenna lead IS part of the antenna, just as much as
the whip is.

The most important thing is to have a SHORT ground lead. Right now
your ground lead is acting as part of your antenna and coupling into
all the other wiring. Especially your LINK system with the leads right
next to the ground lead. (which in your case is part of the antenna)!!

Once you have the proper ground then it is a much easier job to start
to eliminate RF being picked up directly from the antenna. The problem
now is that it is probably being picked up from both the ground lead
and the antenna. It is very difficult to deal with both.

Once a lead leaves the ground connection (connection at the dynaplate)
then the rest becomes antenna. It doesn't matter what side of the
tuner it is on.

Remember "if it isn't ground then it is antenna".

Regards
Gary

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 08:05:10 -0600, "Keith"
wrote:

OK, more details on the system. Icom 802 going to the AT-140 automatic
antenna tuner. Yes, the tuner is working, you can hear the relays clicking
when you press the "tune" button or transmit. The antenna (made by the
Digital company... I should have specified!) is on the flying bridge, as is
the tuner. The tuner is about 3' from the antenna. The antenna is right
behind and above the pilothouse. The base is maybe 10' from the wheel and
electronics, etc.

2" copper foil runs from the radio to the antenna tuner, and splits off
about midway and goes to the bilge, where it's connected to a dynaplate. I
plan to add some more foil and connect the fuel tanks and run some radials
down there as well. Lets see: the run from the radio to the antenna tuner is
about 25', and the run from that one to the dynaplate is about 10'.

No, we didn't check the SWR. I wanted to add more foil and some ferrite
cores to see how this helps out. I wanted to do the things I can do rather
than pay the tech all those $$$ for basically grunt work. I can call him
back out whenever.

No, my hand doesn't burn when transmitting! ;-)

Yes, I believe the VHF cable needs replacing. It's old and probably cracked
somewhere along the line. The Link 20 DOES have the sheilded cabling as
Larry described, but the ground foil runs right alongside in the same chase.
I don't think I connected the sheild to ground though... I'll fix that.