Gary Schafer

Default SSB reflected power?

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 06:00:09 -0600, "Keith"
wrote:

Well, now that my SSB is up and running, I have one more minor problem ( I
think). Whenever I key up the mike to talk, some of the electronics go nuts,
like the Link 20 (near the grounding foil), the VHF goes blank and one of
those "touch" 110 lamps goes on and off. The radio tech that got me up and
running said these were symptoms of reflected power. I'm using a 23' digital
antenna, and seem to be transmitting well. Is there anything I can do about
this, or should I even be worried about it?

Kieth,

It sounds more like symptoms of installer tech bull**** than anything
else. I have to agree with Bruce, it sounds like you have a poor
ground system. SWR does not cause RF to be all over the place. RF on
the outside of your coax will cause some of your symptoms. RF on the
outside of your coax is not caused by swr but is caused by a poor
ground system.

If you have an automatic antenna tuner and it is working properly
there shouldn't be any high swr on the coax line to the radio. Did he
check?

Where is the tuner mounted and how long is the ground foil from the
tuner to ground?

Regards
Gary