Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] is offline

Default Wi-Fi under way and at anchor

"Free Willy" wrote in message
"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 09:15:00 -0400, WaIIy wrote:

As always, it depends on who you talk to:

They stole data. Period, no debate here.

===

I think stealing is probably the wrong word. As far as anyone knows
they did not use the data for any sort of criminal purpose. I agree
that it was wrong to collect it however, even though it was
unencrypted.

Suppose someone drives down your street and makes a log of your
address, house color, type of driveway and number of front facing
windows. Is that stealing data?

Does one 'steal data' when one listens to an NFL football game on the AM or
FM radio?

NOT!

So if somebody's wi-fi router/transceiver is broadcasting a microwave signal
(wi-fi) and your computer's or phone's wi-fi transceiver logs onto that
"open" broadcast on the public airways is that stealing?

NOT!

An inanimate object like a computer or a cell phone that has a wi-fi
transceiver can and does 'automatically' log onto open wi-fi networks. All a
user has to do is turn the machine on. What the machine does after an owner
turns it on is not the owner intending to 'steal' data. In many cases an
owner might be completely unaware that a connection has been made.

Wilbur Hubbard

Forgery!!!!