Lloyd Sumpter

Default Cheap and Nasty Knotmeter

Hi,

I still have the thru-hull from a long-dead knotmeter in Far Cove. I
may be able to dig up the partially-working paddle-wheel sender (iirc
needs a new paddlewheel).

Can I get a new sender, with proper documentation so I know how it
works, and hook it into my laptop? The Signet sender appears to put out a
voltage more-or-less proportional to speed, correct? So I would need a bit
of electronics (buffer/amp? and A/D) to put the value into the parallel
port of the laptop. Then a few runs with a GPS in still water should allow
me to calibrate it.

Where can I get data on what these senders actually put out?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36 - waiting for new engine