rick

Default Commercial Post - RAYMING TripNav USB GPS Receiver now Available in Atlantic Canada

Maybe you should post your rules so we won't inadvertantly offend you

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 02:37:33 GMT, Larry W4CSC wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 07:26:01 GMT, "John Smith"
wrote:

Maybe innovative solutions could be considered worthy news to some of
the
audience? While I agree this group should not be hammered by commercial
e-mails, this type of product is of interest.

Is there a fine line that is acceptable?

Yes, if the poster is involved, in any way, with making money from his
posts, it's SPAM. That line is very broad and easily seen from miles
away.

If you came on here and said, "Those guys at Mikey's Marine and Storm
Door over on Lake Winnepeesexy do a great job fixing Volvo stern
drives." That ISN'T spam because you don't work for Mikey and he's
not paying you to post it. If MIKEY, on the other hand, came on here
to sell his products and services, that IS spam and is not acceptable
because he is making money doing so....

The grey area arrives when someone posts their old VHF radio for sale
or their personal stuff. With me that's ok. But, with others it's
not. That's why we have rec.boats.marketplace for those personal
sales ads. If you want to read about them, that's where they should
be read and posted.

If everyone accepts every company posting ads for new boat stuff or
used boats, etc., rec.boats.anyflavor will soon be just another wasted
giant ad space like all the webpages you visit these days, blinking
spams, snooping spyware, adware installs.

Usenet is one of the few places left on the internet where like-minded
people can sit and chat at their leisure without having some *******
trying to SELL you something. I'd like to think we can keep it that
way, myself. If GPS receivers interest you, go put "GPS receivers"
into www.google.com and there's PLENTY of spam-soaked webpages where
you can read all about it.....

Larry W4CSC