Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] is offline

Default Two steps forward, and one step - a huge one - back...

"Ian Malcolm" wrote in message
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
anews.com:

Poor Skippy!!! It sounds like your amateur attempt at alignment is
doomed to failure.

Why?

Because there is a lot more to alignment that just centering the shaft
in the log. A perfectly centered shaft can fail to be perfectly
aligned with the transmission output shaft/flange.

IOW, if the two flanges that bolt together are not perfectly parallel
both top to bottom and side to side and everywhere else, when the
propeller shaft is centered in the log there will be a terrible
vibration set up as the two flanges will bind and loosen as they
rotate. The only way to get them perfect is by using two dial gauges,
one for each flange and as you rotate them with perhaps an 18th inch
of space between them (in neutral) by hand both gauges must not move
more than a blonde hair.

Sounds to me you are doing the job only halfway, Skippy.

Wilbur Hubbard

BullPucky!
Its simple enough to get them dead in line with a feeler gauge between
their faces. Simply rotate the two flanges together while checking the gaps
at four points seperated by 90 degrees. (the measurement points rotate
with the flanges). If they neither tighten or loosen on the gauge finger
through a whole turn the angular alignment is 'dead nuts'.

Sadly, that's only about half the picture. Just imaging the two shafts not
being on the same centerline. Feeler gauges might indicate that the two
flanges were parallel but there STILL would be binding due to the two flanges
being off center - hence the need to use dial gauges.

Look at the illustrations, please. Maybe you're bright enough to understand
what I'm talking about.

Like I said and I still maintain I said correctly, Skippy is only doing HALF
the job. And, apparently this also applies to you as well.

http://www.hellersolutions.com/C350/...llManual10.pdf

Wilbur Hubbard