Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] is offline

Default Two steps forward, and one step - a huge one - back...

"Flying Pig" wrote in message
I made great progress in the alignment saga today. Lots more contortions, but
the exertion part was alleviated by the borrowing of a couple of very serious
wrenches, allowing me better leverage. Once I had stuff moving, I could use my
smaller wrenches to good effect, having the ability to move them further
because they were lots shorter.

I got all of the sliding stuff loose today, something I'd
been pretty concerned about. However, as most things I do will defer to brute
force, and I'm a brute, sometimes, I got things started.

At the moment we're nearly finished with the gross alignment of the shaft in
the exit tube. Once we have that set, we'll go about making the face of the
coupler match up perfectly with the flange on the transmission.

As everything is entirely loose at the moment, I have little doubt that the
hard part is yet come, as every loose part has to be retightened, and every
time I do that, the alignment will change, slightly. However, I'll keep at it
(I'm known for patience), and as long as I've got it all loose, won't settle
for better than the .004 it was before (albeit, WAAAY off straight astern).

WooHoo!

================[reply]=======================

Poor Skippy!!! It sounds like your amateur attempt at alignment is doomed to
failure.

Why?

Because there is a lot more to alignment that just centering the shaft in the
log. A perfectly centered shaft can fail to be perfectly aligned with the
transmission output shaft/flange.

IOW, if the two flanges that bolt together are not perfectly parallel both top
to bottom and side to side and everywhere else, when the propeller shaft is
centered in the log there will be a terrible vibration set up as the two
flanges will bind and loosen as they rotate. The only way to get them perfect
is by using two dial gauges, one for each flange and as you rotate them with
perhaps an 18th inch of space between them (in neutral) by hand both gauges
must not move more than a blonde hair.

Sounds to me you are doing the job only halfway, Skippy.

Wilbur Hubbard