Short Wave Sportfishing

Default External GPS antenna and WAAS?

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 15:02:40 GMT, (Larry W4CSC) wrote:

To find the angle of the geostationary WAAS satellites from your area,
go to:
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/DishPointerAction.do
at Direct TV and put your zip code into the box on the page. DTV will
tell you how to set the elevation on your DTV dish and that angle is
the angle the WAAS birds are from your latitude. All geostationary
satellites occupy the same 22,800 mile band around the equator.

For Charleston, SC, the data comes back:

For your zip Code 29418 the azimuth and elevation are displayed below:

DIRECTV Dish Pointer

Azimuth 220.9

Elevation 45.6

The Azimuth is irrelevant to WAAS birds. The elevation above the
horizon is the same. This is also the elevation if you have a 137 Mhz
GOES weather satellite receiver or any other geostationary satellite
use. The higher, the better, of course. The direct satellite radios
like XM and Sirius work better in the South, too...(c;

Now that's two new things I learned today.

I keep this up, I might get smart or something.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
"My rod and my reel - they comfort me."