Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default External GPS antenna and WAAS?

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:22:35 -0800, "Steve Alexanderson"
Idon'tlikegreeneggsandspamIdon'tlikethemsamIamsal
wrote:

I just received my new Garmin Map76s. I haven't had it on the boat yet. I
took it to the beach yesterday (Oregon coast) and pointed it to the south
west, slightly elevated. After a few minutes, it found satellite 47, and
after a few minutes more it indicated differential GPS. It didn't take very
long in the car traveling home before it lost the differential indication.
My question is: After mounting the bracket on my boat, will I only get
differential GPS when traveling SW, and would an external antenna be the
cure? Thanks.

My hand-held Garmin 48 works at the nav table inside the cabin. The
fixed mount one at the helm has an internal antenna and works fine. It
is also a Garmin, but I forget the model.

Unless you have a metal roof over it you should be ok. The deck over
the nav table is balsa cored FG, about 1 1/4 inch thick. I suppose if
the core were wet I might have difficulty.

Rodney Myrvaagnes Opionated old geezer

Faith-based economics: It's deja voodoo all over again