Chuck Tribolet

Default External GPS antenna and WAAS?

On the west coast, the WAAS birds are only about 15 degrees above
the horizon, so it's really easy to loose them on land. The good news
is that they stay locked up well on the ocean, at least in the Monterey
area. As long as your GPS has a clear view to the southwest, it
should work fine.

Travel direction isn't relevant, except as it might make part of the
boat hide the bird.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"Steve Alexanderson" Idon'tlikegreeneggsandspamIdon'tlikethemsamIamsal wrote in message
I just received my new Garmin Map76s. I haven't had it on the boat yet. I
took it to the beach yesterday (Oregon coast) and pointed it to the south
west, slightly elevated. After a few minutes, it found satellite 47, and
after a few minutes more it indicated differential GPS. It didn't take very
long in the car traveling home before it lost the differential indication.
My question is: After mounting the bracket on my boat, will I only get
differential GPS when traveling SW, and would an external antenna be the
cure? Thanks.