Dennis Pogson

Default GPS Anchor Drag Alarm Ideas?

Len Krauss wrote:
My GPS (with an anchor drag alarm feature) is not located in sleeping
berth. Even even if it were, its alarm is barely audible, and
certainly not adequate to arouse a person from a sound sleep (unless
the GPS were strapped to one's ear.). Additionally, a GPS antenna
wire would need to be run to the berth -- not a big problem, but
what's the point if one can't hear the alarm anyway.

Perhaps there's some kind low-power amplifier that could be placed
next to the GPS, or possibly a transmitter with remote alarm
receiver. But it might need to be tunable, so just any kind of noise
doesn't set it off.

I was hoping that there might be a defined NMEA sentence output by
the GPS when an anchor drag condition is sensed, but none exits from
what I've been told. If there were, it might be possible to detect it
in order to trigger a loud alarm of some type.

Would welcome any and all suggestions for off-the-shelf or custom
anchor drag alarm systems.

Thanks,
Len

For those who have electronic navigation, using a laptop, Oziexplorer's
latest downloadable programme has an anchor watch facility, and the setup is
excellent, giving you the possiblity of connecting the laptop to any speaker
or PA system you might have available. The setup also allows the user to set
variable diameter concentric rings to suit the conditions and local
anchorage details. The version number is 3.95.3c.
Remove "nospam" from return address.