Vic Fraenckel

Default Pitch & Roll sensor

wrote in message
| Oddly enough, my goals are the same. I intend to retire this spring, and
buy a boat for coastal
| cruising. One project I have in mind is a "wave-meter", i.e., a device
which will tell me how high
| the waves are....swells and wind chop. Roll and pitch should be do-able
also.

| My approach is the same as below. But, as pointed out in another post,
calibration is the problem.

Norm,

There is no calibration problem with the ADXL202. What is a problem, at
least with my application, is insuring that the accelerometer is mounted
perpendicular to the roll and pitch axes. I am attempting to mount the ADXL
on a telescope (not astronomical) to measure the inclination of the optical
axis of the system. After trying to align the accelerometer mrchanically to
the axes, I am now trying to write a routine to compute the off-axisness and
use the results to compensate for the mis-alignment.

To understand the ADXL go to the AMD site http://www.amd.com/us-en/ and
download the ADXL202 data sheets. There are also some app notes that are
interesting.

You might also explore U.S. Digital http://www.usdigital.com/ as they have
an inclinometer that might do the trick. Check out the T6 unit. I have used
their shaft encoder products and am seriously considering the T6.

HTH

Vic

Victor Fraenckel - The Windman
vfraenc1 ATSIGN nycap DOT rr DOTcom
KC2GUI

Home of the WindReader Electronic Theodolite
Read the WIND

"Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long
and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
- Winston [Leonard Spencer] Churchill (1874 - 1965)

Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?
-Count Oxenstierna (ca 1620) to the young King Gustavus Adolphus