garry crothers

Default Pitch & Roll sensor

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:16:54 +0800, Dave Baker

wrote:

Does anyone know of a pitch & roll sensor suitable for installation on a
vessel? I need to log pitch & roll on a boat

I'll have another go at this, seeing that I didn't get an answer a while
back, and some units that I have found since have turned out to be
unsuitable.

Anyone know of any pitch/roll sensors that are designed specifically for
measuring pitch & roll in vessels? The units that I have found apparently

are
more for static applications, and are affected by acceleration, so are not
accurate in dynamic situations.

I'd settle for any USB or serial output, and if absolutely necessary then

I'd
go for 4-20mA output & shove a converter on the end.

Dave

I have sailed on Dynamic Positioned vessels that used Hippy pitch and roll
sensors from Datawell, they are basically about the size of a dustbin, and
have a pendulum supported inside some fluid, never had one open, but as far
as I remember the output was 4-20mA current loop.

The other type were made by Robertson or Kongsberg , (Now Simrad), they used
the gyropscopic principal to measure pitch and roll, and I think they were
probably adapted from aircraft use, because they used a strange AC power
source 440Hz/48V.

Both units were fairly expensive, contact either Datawell or Simrad for
details

garry crothers