Vic Fraenckel

Default Pitch & Roll sensor

Dave,

I suspect that you are looking for a ready-made solution for measuring
pitch/roll. Perhaps something exists out there but I suspect that the price
would be high. If you are looking for something ready-to-go I can't help
you. If you have some electronic skills and some programming skills you can
build something that will work and most likely be way less costly than the
ready-made solutions.

There is a solid state sensor that is a two axis accelerometer made by
Analog Devices. It is the ADXL202 chip and you can find numererous
references to it with a google search on the part number. I have been
experimenting, on and off, with the device and a microprocessor for several
years and find it rather easy to interface and get working.

I am in the process of selling my home and plan to live-aboard and I have
sort of thought that a pitch/roll sensor would be a neat thing to do for a
"boat project" and I will visit this when I get set up on a boat. I would
consider a project of this type to be relatively simple to accomplish if one
had some electronic skills. All it would take is a ADXL, a simple micro and
a LCD display device and some programming to prototype a working instrument.

HTH

Vic

Victor Fraenckel - The Windman
vfraenc1 ATSIGN nycap DOT rr DOTcom
KC2GUI

Home of the WindReader Electronic Theodolite
Read the WIND

"Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long
and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
- Winston [Leonard Spencer] Churchill (1874 - 1965)

Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?
-Count Oxenstierna (ca 1620) to the young King Gustavus Adolphus