Shortwave Sportfishing

Default SEA-235 SSB Tuner Problem

On 5 Jan 2004 12:00:48 -0800, (GeoffSchultz)
wrote:

I'm happy to report that I resolved the problem. Thanks for all of
the suggestions. This morning I wired a 50' extension cord as an
antenna and pulled it via a halyard up the mast. The tuner wouldn't
tune, but I noted that I wasn't receiving any WWV frequencies. I
switched back to the whip antenna and I still wasn't getting anything.
I decided to start checking all of the connections and while I was
checking the PLU-59 connection at the transmitter, WWV started to come
in. I played with the connector and decided to replace it.

After replacing the connector I tried tuning and got great tunes (SWRs
between 1.0 and 1.2) and great reception. I'm still very confused as
how I could transmit voice and e-mail over this, but I guess that
there was just enough of a connection, but insufficient for the tuner
to tune.

I learned a lot and really want to thank everyone who helped!

My motto (among others) is it's always the most obvious.

Unless it isn't. :)

Good luck.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
"We may say of angling as Dr. Boteler said of strawberries:
Doubtless God could have made a better berry, but doubtless
God never did and so, if I might be judge, God never did make
a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler"(1653)