K Smith

Default Manifold failure, hydrolock :-(

Gould 0738 wrote:
For that sort of hooch can you consider different power?? As you say
you didn't really use the power the turboed perkins had anyway & these
days Cummins etc have some lovely units at what seem like good prices.

My impression is that a new Cummins would run just under twice what it will
likely cost to install another (reman) Perkins.

One consideration is a certain blasphemy being entertained by the Mrs. She toys
more frequently these days with selling our perfectly perfect boat and
replacing it with another that would have a larger berth, a different galley
config, etc etc etc. I guess it seems natural that she has developed a list of
perceived deficiencies after a decade or so with this boat......the scary thing
is that we've been together a *lot* longer than that..(I mean, our oldest kid
is 30!)...and I wonder what sort of "list" she's developed concerning me? :-)

Well we all know there are issues with you Chuck but you are as good as
any ex boat broker can be;-) besides I can absolutely assure you even
the thought of another berth, bigger or no, is out of the question:-)

If she makes good on her threat to force the new (or newer) boat issue in the
next few years I'll get no more for the boat with a 4-5 year old Cummins in it
than with a
Perkins with 800 hours on the rebuild.

As you say, I'm actually surprise the new engine is that expensive, but
as well as the cost there would also be some issues fitting it which
would use more money, so yes as you say.

The newly reconfigured 40-foot Willard pilothouse could be a temptation, but
there are only two of those in existence. And there is a small problem with the
associated price tag. Wowzers- at least for me.

Besides, if anything goes wrong with one of these new diesels, it's much harder
to diagnose or repair. My old Perkins is easy to understand. I can look at
every part and piece on the exterior of that engine and know what it is, how it
works, and how to take care of it.

Even that lump on the side of the rotary injection pump?? the injection
timing advance mechanism?? delete delete it's just me:-)

It will even run with a stone dead battery-
like to see a new Cummins duplicate that. :-)

Hmmm they both need to get started?? so save you have lots of kitchen
knives to put uner the exhaust valve tappets, room the get something
onto the crankshaft & you're built like a gorilla; they'll both sit
there silent. If you have enough power to start either, assuming the alt
is still there then they'll run. The electronics all have safe modes
which while not as reliable as your old cav or bosch pump, do give the
system some options.

Best Regards,