Rick Morel

Default PDA GPS Receivers...

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 12:01:25 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

Anybody have any experience with these little devices?

I'm speaking of the iPAQ series PDA/handheld computers and the Navman
GPS receiver with the Maptech charts.

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 03:19:51 GMT, (Larry W4CSC) wrote:
Wow! That costs about the same as a Beneteau Bavaria....(c;

Almost :-) Seriously, I saved money. "Final Step" has a fixed mount
Garmin 162 mapping GPS. I wanted color. A 176C + memory card + what I
needed with Bluechart would have been $2,000. I already had the
Maptech charts I needed. Cost was $600 for the IPAQ - I think they're
down to about $400 now, and $300 for the Navman with Pocket Navigator.
I already had a couple 256M Flash Cards, but I think they're about
50-bucks.

Works out fine. The 162 has Waterways and Lights and talks to the
autopilot, the IPAQ right next to it has full color "regular" charts.

Rick

S/V Final Step
http://www.morelr.com/coronado/