Larry W4CSC

Default Noisy Guest

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:52:46 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 04:15:31 GMT, (Larry W4CSC) wrote:

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 13:02:37 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

Until the transformers go soft. ;)

S'plane to me how transformers "go soft"??

You've been around as long as I have, don't tell me you've never had a
transformer loosen it's windings, or the varnish disintegrate on the
wire causing transformer noise - both RF and mechanical.

A buzzing loose core doesn't change transformer operation, that I ever
saw. Hell, if that was so, half the flourescent lights in any WalMart
would be dark!

Heck, I've got a Astron RS-30a under my desk that is noiser than hell
and has been since I bought it WAY back when. :)

Junk it. I did mine. If that damned series pass transistor ever
shorts, you can kiss all your equipment hooked to it good bye when the
20-some volts hits them. I don't use analog, series pass regulated
power supplies, here. The ham shack 12V equipment all runs off a bank
of 90-year-old Nickel-Iron cells I got from a demolished Holiday Inn.
They provide about 800AH at 14VDC and are charged by a WalMart
automatic shutoff 10A charger all mounted under the house. This power
supply provides the 120A 14VDC to power my highly-modified TenTec
Hercules II solid state HF linear amp, about 650W OUTPUT. It also
powers all the VHF, scanners, and other 12V toys cluttering up the
desk. It's hooked to a 1KW Tripplite UPS that powers the desk light
and computers/monitors/modems/routers and other network toys in power
outage. The lights in here don't ever blink...(c;

One of my neighbors came over to ask if I knew why the power was off.
Seeing my computer running on the net, he thought his house was down.
I told him my power was off, too, and I had called it in.

Batteries don't hum and go ballastic with high voltage to destroy
everything like series-pass analog power supplies....yecch!

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
"I object to fishing tournaments less for
what they do to fish than what they do to
fishermen." Ted Williams - 1964