Larry

Default Noisy Guest

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 11:52:46 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 04:15:31 GMT, (Larry W4CSC) wrote:

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 13:02:37 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

Until the transformers go soft. ;)

S'plane to me how transformers "go soft"??

You've been around as long as I have, don't tell me you've never had a
transformer loosen it's windings, or the varnish disintegrate on the
wire causing transformer noise - both RF and mechanical.

Heck, I've got a Astron RS-30a under my desk that is noiser than hell
and has been since I bought it WAY back when. :)

No flame intended, but I've been involved with electronics since I was
first licensed in 1954 and can count the number of transformers which have
loosened up on the fingers of one hand! Really, Larry's right - the old
analogue chargers were and are far less noisy.
--

Larry W1HJF (ex K2QDO, ex KN2QDO)
email is rapp at lmr dot com