Dan Krueger

Default Motor upgrade - More Horse Power

"Most" people with small "25' or less" don't even think about boat insurance? I
hope you are wrong. Boat insurance here in FL is expensive - I pay around $600
for a 2002 20' with zero claims. Most of that is for liability with a high
limit. My $7000 (new in 2000) 17' aluminum bass boat with a 40 HP OB is $160
per year.

I've never financed a boat in Florida but I would suspect that the bank would
want insurance on the collateral until the loan is paid.

As far as not losing your house or 401K, a liability settlement can still
garnish your wages with and negatively impact on your lifestyle. I guess that's
why I carry an umbrella policy. That's cheap insurance...

Dan

F330 GT wrote:
On 20 Sep 2003 20:18:37 GMT, ospam (F330 GT) wrote:

In 30+ years of boating, the only time I've ever had boat insurance was when

had a 44' charter boat. I can't think of any of my friends that have ever

had

boat insurance either, unless their boat was financed. Then it was because

the

finace comapny required it. An trust me, I grew up on an island where

everybody

had boats.

Barry

No problem if you want to risk losing your house, etc.

Maybe that's just one of the joys of living in Florida. You won't lose your
house or your 401K. It's all protected. I guess that's why OJ lives here now.

Maybe it also helps that I feel competent enough to use my boat without running
into anybody. The only insurance claim I've ever had was when a sailboat took
out the bow pulpit on my 44' Whiticar. My boat was docked at the time. His
insurance paid for it. (That was my only boat that was insured)

With the 30+ years of insurance I've saved I bet I could buy a real nice boat.

But, feel free to insure your's. I'm not knocking you. I just find it
interesting that there is so much interest in insurance by people that mostly
live up North and away from the water. Whereas, here in South Florida, most
people that have small boats (25' or less) don't even think about boat
insurance.

I should mention that a goodly percentage of drivers on our highways don't
think about insurance either. That's another story...

Barry