Jack Burton

Default Antenna Ratings

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 04:01:15 GMT, (Larry W4CSC) wrote:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 21:49:17 -0800, "Chuck Tribolet"
wrote:

Larry: please define "very high gain"? 9db? 6db?

The higher the "gain" of the antenna, the flatter and less "thick" its
radiation pattern. The 9db antenna has a much flatter radiation
pattern than the 6db.

So, how does the horizon work into the gain equation?

FWiW, I have have a 6db 8' Shake Galaxy on my 17' whaler. Works fine
even when it's rock and roll.

"In range" you'll really not see the difference on FM, which signal
strength has less effect on until it's near the fringe.

I just don't like the big, long fiberglass whips on small boats.
Neither does USCG. They got fed up with them breaking off and all use
the Metz, now. Metz brags about it on their webpage.

Interesting - all the USCG small boats around these parts use the
Shakespeare 396-1 which is a center-fed 1/2 wave.

I use one and it's been great antenna.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
"I object to fishing tournaments less for
what they do to fish than what they do to
fishermen." Ted Williams - 1964