X ` Man[_3_] X ` Man[_3_] is offline

Default Propane or Natural Gas for Small Home Generators

On 7/29/12 6:54 PM, Tim wrote:
On Jul 29, 4:55 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
Any of you who have ever depended on a small home generator during an
extended power outage will appreciate the fact that gasoline can
become difficult to obtain. This is further compounded by the
problems of storing ethanol gas for any length of time. After
hurricane Charlie here in SW Florida my neighbor and I took turns
driving 50 miles round trip every night for over a week to buy
generator gas.

I just found a web site selling propane and natural gas conversion
kits for small gasoline generators if anyone is interested. I have
no personal interest (or experience) with their products.

http://www.propane-generators.com/

One good thing about 'natural' or 'propane' is that it doesn't spoil.
My Honda is readily to hook up to a 500 gal. propane tank in
necessary.

Power outages in my area are not often and only momentarily for a
couple hrs at the usual. But you never know. Especially in the winter
if a good ice storm comes along. Some rural people have been out of
electricity for two weeks in freezing temps.

changing over a small gas engine to propane is easy and well worth
it.

Thanks for the post, Wayne.

We get three or four "serious" power outages a year here, ranging from a
day to nearly a week. Outages of an hour or two are not uncommon,
especially during and after light summer thunderbumpers. Some people in
this area have suffered outages of up to two weeks in recent storms.

The worst part of no power is...no water from the well. No water, no
toilet flushing. We've had a couple of five gallon water jugs around but
with the generator, our well pump works nominally.

I think there are 14 houses in our little neighborhood. During the last
storm, nine houses were powered up with generators.