X ` Man[_3_] X ` Man[_3_] is offline

Default Propane or Natural Gas for Small Home Generators

On 7/29/12 5:55 PM, Wayne.B wrote:
Any of you who have ever depended on a small home generator during an
extended power outage will appreciate the fact that gasoline can
become difficult to obtain. This is further compounded by the
problems of storing ethanol gas for any length of time. After
hurricane Charlie here in SW Florida my neighbor and I took turns
driving 50 miles round trip every night for over a week to buy
generator gas.

I just found a web site selling propane and natural gas conversion
kits for small gasoline generators if anyone is interested. I have
no personal interest (or experience) with their products.

http://www.propane-generators.com/

If you don't have natural gas available, LP Gas is a fine alternative.
Burns clean, too...no stinky gasoline/diesel exhaust smells.

I think ours burns the equivalent of 1.6 gallons of LP gas an hour on
half-load. That's close to what the spec sheet says, if memory serves.
If we're not running one of the heat pumps, we're probably running at
one-eighth load.

The plumber used something he called a "bullet borer"
to push long sections of pipe about 80' underground on the horizontal
plane from our LP tank to the generator. No trenching.