Jim B

Default Deep cycle batteries - miscellaneous advice?

"Joakim Majander" wrote in message
m...
"Jeff Morris" wrote in message

No load voltage is a good indicator, if you know how to use it. You
shouldn't read the voltage after charging without load and never with
a high load. With a small load (0.1 - 2 A, for 60 Ah) the no load
voltage is very constant and reliable. Fully charged will give 12,6x V
and 11.7 is very close to empty. You should not let this voltage drop
below 12 V, which is ~30% capacity. For reading the voltage you need
an accurate meter, since an error of 0.1 V is significant.

You'll get good (and convenient) readings if you leave the battery rest for
20min to 1 hour before taking the voltage reading. By rest, I mean detach
the terminal so there's no charge and no discharge at all. See my yesterday
post. Your light load probably accounts for the small differences you quote
for various charging states. Or perhaps your battery lives in a hotter part
of the world!
--
Jim B, Yacht RAPAZ,
Sadly, for sale: