Jeff Morris

Default Deep cycle batteries - miscellaneous advice?

Joakim Majander" wrote in message

No load voltage is a good indicator, if you know how to use it. You
shouldn't read the voltage after charging without load and never with
a high load.

So its reliable except when charging or discharging. And for a while afterwards.

With a small load (0.1 - 2 A, for 60 Ah) the no load
voltage is very constant and reliable. Fully charged will give 12,6x V
and 11.7 is very close to empty. You should not let this voltage drop
below 12 V, which is ~30% capacity. For reading the voltage you need
an accurate meter, since an error of 0.1 V is significant.

How do you use a voltmeter when there's a solar panel charging at 6 Amps, or the fridge is drawing
25 Amps?

How can you accurately use an Ah-meter?

Been doing it for years. Just follow the instructions.

How do you know what is the
starting point (after few hours loading capacity could be anywhere
between 70 and 100%)?

Being on shore power for a day, or running the engine for several hours generally puts you at a
reliable starting point. After sitting at anchor for a week or so, running down to about 50% and
charging up to 85% daily, there is a certain drift. Mine will start too read a bit optimistic,
perhaps 2% a day. That's still a lot more reliable than a volt-meter alone, especially since it can
be used regardless of the load or charge rate.

How do you know how many Ah you battery can
really deliver?

By using the A-H meter, plus a volt meter (which every A-H meter has), and checking the cells for
specific gravity every month or so.

The real capasity depends on load and the rated
capasity is unlikely to be accurate.

So? Life is full of inaccuracies. If you use a battery the same way every day, the capacity is not
going to vary that much. A good A-H meter compensates for the differing discharge rate with
different loads.

Having had A-h meters on two boats over the last 12 years, I can attest the their reliable nature.
They work as advertised.

BTW, I currently have a dual AH meter, with one leg on the house bank, and the other on the fridge.
This gives me an accurate readout of the fridge usage. While traveling, I kept of daily log so I
could correlate with air tamp and sea temp. Usage varied between 60 Amp-Hours a day (Maine) and 110
(S FL) for a Crosby 1/2 hp holding plate system with separate fridge and freezer.