maxlynn

Default Questions on Radar

"Ric" wrote in message

"maxlynn" wrote in message
newst5Fb.31627$pY.9325@fed1read04...

I wouldn't think you are a Luddite, but you should think long and hard

about
not feeding the GPS' NMEA output to the radar. At the very least, it
serves as a repeater for much of that data. And, as someone else noted,

it
provides the lollipop display of the location of your next waypoint on

the
radar screen. This is very useful information.

Exactly! And this is also exactly what will not work between Furuno radar
and Raymarine chartplotter. The Furuno cannot read properly the heading

NMEA
sentence put out by the Raymarine and so the Furuno cannot work out

properly
where to point the lollipop.

I don't disagree with what you say, but the original poster stated that he
had a Furuno GPS, not a chartplotter. There is no problem feeding a
Raymarine SL-72 (for example), with NMEA data from his GPS. And from what I
understood, he wasn't interested in a chartplotter.

And in response to the original poster, I think that while the Furono radars
seem to win out when you are talking about larger CRT units, this doesn't
seem to extend down to the small LCD units. I think that it is generally
accepted that the small Raymarine sets are a little crisper than the
equivalent Furuno or JRC.