Rosalie B.

Default Questions on Radar

x-no-archive:yes

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote:

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:40:10 +0000, Lloyd Sumpter wrote:

Hi,

Considering buying a radar, so I have a few questions:

Wow - thanks for all the Great Answers! Lots of things I hadn't
considered, like losing close-in target if the antenna is too high.

snip
But in either case, I'd be removing the display when the boat is
docked. How easy is this, especially the connectors? How well would the
connectors handle being out in the weather - is there some kind of
protective cover for them? The dodger option might allow me to snake the

We remove and store the radar when we are in a marina (we don't bother
at anchor) or when we leave the boat on a mooring. Bob has the
connectors shrink wrap protected. There are three nuts or knobs to be
tightened or loosened - does not take long at all. One is to attach
the screen to the arm, and the other two attach the radar part to the
antenna and to a power source. I think that Bob has the cable running
down inside the legs of the radar arch. The cables that I see are
quite short - less than 8"

cables up from below, but they might get in the way ("Sailor Strangled By
Radar Cable: Film at 11..").

snip
grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD