Tom Tom is offline

Default 9.9hp outboard question ?

I never thought of guitar string but I took apart some copper cable strands
and had one lenghth of copper that was about 1/8" or 1/16" thick, was pretty
good and I figured the copper wouldn't scratch anything being soft and it
did clean out that crud that was clogging those orrifices, plus I had a can
of carb spray and little pig air compressor that starts every single time it
is used.

The kit costs about 25 bucks and had all the gaskets including the float, I
am glad I got the kit with the float as you guys suggested because the old
float (15 years old) was very deterioriated and broken and broke more when I
took it out. what should have taken one hour as someone here suggested and
is probably right took me about 3 to 3.5 hours because it was first time and
I took my time and cleaned it very well and greased things in there that I
couldn't grease when that housing is all on it. I had to take the pull cable
housing off, breather box etc etc so lots came off and went back on and for
first time it was good.

I noticed that the idle screws that some suggest 1.5 turns, mine was already
at 4.25 and I tried what you guys suggested at 1.5-2 and the motor will stop
anywhere else but around that 4.25 spot. I will wait until I go fishing and
play with it again and see where it likes to stay but now it is at the 4.25
spot and running or idling nice.

Thanks for the tips guys

"WaIIy" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 17:13:38 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Tom" wrote in message
Thanks Bruce

Some utube videos say tighten the screw then come back 1.5 turns.

That's the ticket. That's the starting point. That will get you up and
running. Lightly bottom the screw then back it out one and a half turns.
When the motor warms up you can fiddle with it while the engine is idling
in gear to make it as smooth as possible.

With what you just said it appears that only the low speed jet is clogged.
That's the one where a bristle pulled from a wire brush and used to clear
the orifice will do the job nicely. No need to do much more than remove
the float bowl and locate the low speed orifice and use the bristle to
unclog it.

Wilbur Hubbard

If you happen to play guitar or know someone who does, the strings are
ideal. Just be sure not to use a big one.