Bill Andersen

Default Ext spkr for VHF Radio

....in parallel.. I'm trying to remember what that is.
But, only one radio powers the speakers at a time, that's why I used a DPDT
switch.
Bill
"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
NEVER, EVER HOOK TWO TRANSISTOR POWER AMPLIFIERS IN PARALLEL!
Never wire one device to the same speakers as another. One device is
a virtual short to the other and may even present battery voltage to
the other, blowing the hell out of both! It may have already
happened, I can't say from here.

When my SECOND unprotected cheap Sea Ray AM/FM/cassette player croaked
from the salt spray on it, it tore it all out and mounted my Icom M59
in its hole. The Icom now powers BOTH "marine speakers" hooked simply
in parallel in the cockpit. Works great, plenty of volume.....

You may blow the amps hooking them in parallel......not good.

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:50:30 -0800, "Bill Andersen"
wrote:

I want to use the two stereo speakers of my boats AM/FM/Cassette Player

for
my VHF radio. I wired both radios to a Double Pole Double Throw switch.

The
AM/FM/Cassette Player works, but the VHF radio volume is so low I can

barely
hear it.
The specifications for both radios state 4-8 ohm speakers. The
AM/FM/Cassette Player states 14 watts RMS maximum stereo power, the VHF
radio states 4 watts audio output.
Is there anyway I can use the stereo speakers for both radios? If not,

will
the VHF radio have enough power to hear it if I add two of the

mini-speakers
designed for it in the rear cockpit area?

Larry W4CSC

NNNN