Roger Shindel

Default Questions on Radar

Lloyd Sumpter wrote in message
Hi,

Considering buying a radar, so I have a few questions:

1. Not qualified. Power boater.

2. Try some more numbers. At 6 knots you travel a half-mile in 5 min. That
Alaska bound cruise ship travels 2 miles in 5 min. You know which direction
the cruise boat or freighter are going in B.C. and Alaska Coastal waters.
You have lots of time to make a right angle turn and get out of the way with
12 mile max. There are other features more important. You will be shifting
ranges regularly.

3. I trust mine implicitly, as long as it's used in conjunction with 4
eyeballs, Nobeltec on 2 laptops, paper chart, compass, depth sounder, and
.... a radar reflector that allows them to see you.

5. Raytheon SL72 - lower helm only. Simple.

That's all for now...dreaming on a dull winter's day...

Get the radar. If you actually use your boat, you will find many more
applications than driving at night or in the fog, although those two are
pretty important. It's pretty easy to stay in the middle of the channel in
the daylight, if that's where you need to be, when your radar is painting
the channel walls for you, and anchoring in a summer crowd is made easier,
if not a piece of cake, when radar is showing you were all the holes are,
and the distances between the other boats. In Cosmos Cove, AK I even found
a place to anchor among the commercial crab pots in the inner cove using my
radar.

Lloyd Sumpter "Far Cove" Catalina 36

Relax and Enjoy