Bill Andersen

Default Ext spkr for VHF Radio

The stereo has a separate output and ground for each speaker.
The VHF has a built-in speaker and a outlet for an external speaker jack.
The DPDT switch has 6 posts, I cut one of the wires from the stereo to each
speaker and ran them to the left and center posts of the switch so, when the
switch is to the left, the stereo is connected to the speakers.
I ran a wire from the external speaker jack of the VHF to the right and
center posts of the switch so, when the switch is to the right, the VHF is
connected to the speakers.

"Larry" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:50:30 -0800, Bill Andersen wrote:

I want to use the two stereo speakers of my boats AM/FM/Cassette Player

for
my VHF radio. I wired both radios to a Double Pole Double Throw switch.

The
AM/FM/Cassette Player works, but the VHF radio volume is so low I can

barely
hear it.
The specifications for both radios state 4-8 ohm speakers. The
AM/FM/Cassette Player states 14 watts RMS maximum stereo power, the VHF
radio states 4 watts audio output.
Is there anyway I can use the stereo speakers for both radios? If not,

will
the VHF radio have enough power to hear it if I add two of the

mini-speakers
designed for it in the rear cockpit area?

I'm not sure how you wired it as the VHF radio most likely has a single
speaker output and the stereo has two outputs (right and left) and may
share a common ground. You can use the stereo speakers for both radios,
but you should turn off whichever radio is not connected to the speakers

avoid blowing out the audio section.

If it were me, I'd add a SINGLE remote speaker to the VHF radio, making
sure it is plugged into a connection designed to power a speaker.
--

Larry
email is rapp at lmr dot com