Doug Dotson

Default SSB counterpoise for a catamaran

I know some that have used their lifelines with good results. I also have
at 23' fiberglass whip rather than an insulated backstay. It seems to work
as well as a backstay.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

"Garland Gray II" wrote in message
Len,
I do have an aluminum bimini frame so perhaps that is something to

consider.
I might have trouble connecting to it w/ foil though.
Thanks.
Garland

"Len Krauss" wrote in message
A friend with 42' cat uses the aluminum hard bimini framework as
counterpoise and a whip antenna (I think 23') mounted on inner sloped

F/G
section alongside transom step (under handrail). Says it works better

than
the insul backstay antenna and extensive foil strips he had on previous

40'
cat. If you have such a framework, you might give it a try before

laying
foil. I don't think antenna type makes a difference.
--
Eliminate "ns" for email address.

" I'm about to install the SSB ground system in my catamaran. Since I

don't
have a lead keel, and my water tank is well above the w/l, seems I

might
be
needing to lay down a lot of copper strips in the bilge.
The operators manual suggested that a 3" strip separated 3" from an

adjacent
3" strip would be equivalent to a 9" strip. Is this the maximum

separation
to achieve this phenomonem? If the strips could be 2 feet apart, and

still
be effective as a 2+ foot wide strip, that would save a lot of time

and
materials. Probably too good to be true though. But if it did wow,

maybe
could lay strips in both hulls, connected together at each end, and

have
monster ground plane.
Since this probably wouldn't work, what is the most efficient way to

make
the ground system in a catamaran?