Tom Tom is offline

Default 9.9hp outboard question ?

Thanks Bruce

I took the motor for a spin on the weekend, thought it would clear the clog
and I ran some SeaFoam through it but it did nothing to improve the lower
idle. Higher speed the motor didn't miss a beat, but slowing the throttle
down it wanted to stall and pulling the choke was stopping the stall. But
nothing corrected the issue. Looks like I will have to remove and clean the
carb.

Is there any procedure for setting those idle screws? Other than where they
are now, I would hope they are in the right spot.

Anyone have any ideas where those screws should be? I can do what you
suggest Bruce and count the turns and put back in same spot, but what if
that spot is wrong spot?

Some utube videos say tighten the screw then come back 1.5 turns.

Thanks for the ideas

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 07:43:55 -0400, "Tom" wrote:

Yes, I think I am going to tackle it. I can clean it. I have watched it on
utube dozen times now so as long as staying focused and putting everything
back together properly. I also was concerned about the settings on the
carb
when putting them back. Those idle screws need to be thought out as well
and
other than that it looks pretty straight forward. I have gotten quotes
from
marina machanics who would love to do this and they are around the 250
mark
plus taxes. So you are taking a risk with them sometimes so buying the new
carb outright is about the same price so I would have to go that direction
before having the marina do it. I will do it myself. After I do both
impellers. I will let you know how I do, but some far less important
things
have come up and must get them done first.
thnx

None of the adjustments are rocket science. Just screw them closed,
counting the turns. then write down the number somewhere where yu'all
will remember it.

Of course, you could buy a manual, where someone else had screwed the
adjustment closed and written the number down :-)