Meindert Sprang

Default [AD] New multiplexers

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 00:06:29 +0100, "Meindert Sprang"
wrote:

Sure would be a nice feature on that USB port of yours.

Well, the MiniPlex-42 also has it's USB counterpart, the MiniPlex-42USB.

Took me a
while to figure out that I had compass data coming from the B&G
Network Pilot, that I can't turn off without turning off all the B&G
instruments daisy-chained together on their own network, that was
conflicting with the Smart Heading Sensor of the Raymarine Seatalk
network. The stupid Raymarine RL70CRC kept jumping compass headings
back and forth until I figured out what was going on. It would be
just wonderful if I could tell the multiplexer, through its control
software from the computer, to ignore and don't retransmit any one of
the NMEA statements on port 2 or from a certain $ID designator. That
would override the stupid manufacturers' lack of control on what their
NMEA transmits into the network, whether you want them to, or not.

Than can indeed be done with the MiniPlex-42. You either setup the sentence
filter to block unwanted heading sentences on a port, while passing other
sentence. And if the heading sentences of both sources have identical types
like HDT or HDM (both must be the same) simply setting the priority option
would block the second heading source, while passing the rest of the NMEA
data form the second source.

You wouldn't have to find out first what sentences are on your network, the
MPX-config utility does that for you. Simply click the capture button and
your filter list is automatically filled with all sentences present in your
NMEA setup. After ten seconds or so, you stop the capture, click on the
'traffic signs' to change the filter rule/input combination from block to
pass or vice versa to setup the filter, send it to the multiplexer and
you're ready.

..

I'll have to research The Cap'n .ini file. Thanks for the pointer.
The Cap'n has a very limited choice of controlling its output
statements.

There the MiniPlex-42 could help too. The sentence filter not only filters
the NMEA inputs, but also the computer (RS-232 or USB) input to the
multiplexer. So you can also block any unwanted garbage the Cap'n is
spitting out.

Me thinks our network much too complex.....too many toys.

Thanks for the information. Too bad Lionheart is already using the
Noland....sorry.

Well, you can always do like Doug, put the Noland on Ebay..... :-)

Regards,
Meindert