North Star North Star is offline

Default Boating with an iPad...

On Jun 28, 8:19*pm, JustWait wrote:
On 6/28/2012 2:49 PM, Oscar wrote:

On 6/28/2012 2:39 PM, JustWait wrote:
On 6/28/2012 1:12 PM, Oscar wrote:
On 6/28/2012 12:47 PM, North Star wrote:
On Jun 28, 10:53 am, Oscar wrote:
On 6/28/2012 7:48 AM, X ` Man wrote:

On 6/28/12 7:27 AM, North Star wrote:
On Jun 27, 9:45 pm, X ` Man dump-on-conservati...@anywhere-you-
can.com wrote:
On 6/27/12 8:25 PM, Earl wrote:

X ` Man wrote:
I've used my iPad "3" on the boat a few times over the last
couple of
months and have found it to be perfectly suitable for "computing
needs," so long as you are in a cabin or outdoors under good
shade. As
with most devices of this type, the color screen simply washes
out to
invisibility in sunlight.

That being said, the device is a nice, small, very light
"computer" to
have on board, especially when in a case like this one:

http://www.zagg.com/accessories/zagg...-keyboard-case

It works with wi-fi when available, or on the same networks as
any
"smart" cell phone.

The screen is very bright and usable "indoors," and the Zagg
keyboard
is easy to use, even for someone with clunky fingers like mine..
On the
boat, I mostly use the device to find venues and services at the
various places we visit…museums, restaurants, et cetera. But it
also
works as a media server, and movies on its display are very
"watchable." The sound output, though, is not that powerful, so
you
either have to use earbuds or plug into an external speaker.

Most of the apps available for the iPhone are also available for
the
iPad, usually in versions scaled for the latter's larger screen.