Tom Tom is offline

Default 9.9hp outboard question ?

Yes, I think I am going to tackle it. I can clean it. I have watched it on
utube dozen times now so as long as staying focused and putting everything
back together properly. I also was concerned about the settings on the carb
when putting them back. Those idle screws need to be thought out as well and
other than that it looks pretty straight forward. I have gotten quotes from
marina machanics who would love to do this and they are around the 250 mark
plus taxes. So you are taking a risk with them sometimes so buying the new
carb outright is about the same price so I would have to go that direction
before having the marina do it. I will do it myself. After I do both
impellers. I will let you know how I do, but some far less important things
have come up and must get them done first.
thnx

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...
"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 20:37:14 -0400, "Tom" wrote:

First time for everything, besides, I just love the look on mechanic's
faces
when bringing a pile of something and asking them to help put it back
together.

===

I understand all of that but you need to know that cleaning and
rebuilding small carburetors is not always successful. That's why
professional mechanics will usually just replace it with a new one.
It's a guaranteed cure and the time requirement is known in advance.

WRONG!

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Me...9A)/parts.html

Just like I said two or three hundred bucks for such a carburetor. Too
expensive just to replace because a mechanic is either too stupid or lazy
to clean the crud out of the orifices.

It takes all of one half hour to clean the crud out. Even if the shop
labor is 80 bucks an hour that's 40 bucks vs. 300 bucks.

Wilbur Hubbard