Meindert Sprang

Default [AD] New multiplexers

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
Now THAT is interesting.

If the multiplexer detects two sources sending the same statements at
the same loop time, does it alarm some software on the PC to warn you?

No it doesn't. The idea is that if you have two sources of the same type of
data, you can either kill one by the priority mechanism or you can assign
different talker ID's to be able to distinguish between them. If you set
both options, the application software could detect the dissapearence of the
first source because of the sudden change in talker ID when the priority
mechanism times out.

Example: attach to GPS's, one on input 1, the other on input 2. Set the
channel priority and channel numbers. When both GPS's run, only number one
will come through and you see sentences like M1GLL. when the first one dies,
after the timout, you will see the second one as M2GLL. There's one weak
spot he when the second GPS dies before the first, you will not notice it
until the first one dies too :-(

Is there a mapping software for it to show which statements come from
which source addresses/ports?

I think so. One of my regular clients is using the multiplexers for software
that REQUIRES two different GPS inputs. (SOLAS requirement, I think) At the
moment they are using two multiplexers on each computer to achive this. With
the new one, they can use one multiplexer and set the talker ID on the
second GPS stream different from the first. In the software, they can also
program talker ID's to identify the different sources. I also remember
vaguely helping someone with Nobeltec software, that also allows you to
identify different sources by programming a talker ID in an .INI file.

Meindert