Richard Casady Richard Casady is offline

Default 9.9hp outboard question ?

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 18:44:05 -0400, "Tom" wrote:

Tried the Sea Foam for a couple days, really hard to keep that engine
running. Runs in high idle but get lower and wants to stall. Choke stops the
stall but keeping it in High idle is worring me too much. And now looks like
the impeller as I am watching the water outlet closely but tonight it wasn't
working and then steam was venting out so I stopped. I am trying to run as
much of that SeaFoam through as I can. I put about 20% of the can into a
2.5gal can mixed 50:1 with fresh high test with no alcohol.

Looks like going to have to try taking off the carb and cleaning it out.
Shouldn't be a problem, it has run nice for near 10 years as trolling motor
and never missed a beat and just this season has failed. So must go to the
west marine near by get the impeller kit .

Is there a carb kit or anything else I would need to do a 10 year service?
Thnx,,

"WaIIy" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 18:03:29 -0400, "Tom" wrote:

Hi
When you say "Manual Clean" you obviously meant I had to take that carb
off
and clean it within. After seeing a bunch of utube cleanings I wonder if I
could get away with a cleaning with carb cleaner. I can set up a small
tank
and run it with 50-1 and carb cleaner for about 10 minutes, and spray some
carb cleaner into the carb.

What you recommend is obviously the proper way but what do you say about a
short cut or saving me all the time and removal of the carb. This engine
might be newer than I suggested and it is pretty compacted and tight in
there. I figure there are 5 things I must take out to get at the carb, not
to mention all the mechinism.

Are solvent cleaning or cleaners any good? Could you comment on that
please?
In Ontario I am not sure what cleaner is available but I can go to the
store
to get.

Any suggestions or comments on this plan?

Thanks much for your help.

You might try this first and once you're set, use it once in a while.

It's the gold standard for small engines.

Regular - Sea Foam - it's at auto stores, Walmart, etc

http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-u...-products.html

Have you considered taking it to a good mechanic? I would set aside
the dough for next time as I went. Put a fin in the kitty each
weekend, until you have a couple of hundred or whatever.

Casady